Tribune News Service
Jhajjar, May 12
The SIT has failed to trace the locations of the two main accused — Anil Malik and Anoop Singh — in the alleged sexual assault on a Bengali woman at the Tikri border as their cellphones continue to remain switched off ever since the registration of the case.
The team is also waiting for the receipt of the cellphones of the victim to collect further evidence, if any, after going through the WhatsApp chats, text messages and pictures.
“We are yet to get the victim’s cellphone as it is with her father, who has gone to West Bengal for some rituals. He will hand over the phone after returning here in three-four days. But his statement in the case has been recorded,” DSP Pawan Kumar, SIT head, said, adding that a notice for appearance had been served on Kavita, Amit Sangwan and Chitwan Godara.
The DSP said Kavita was a co-accused in the case while the names of Amit and Chitwan had appeared during the investigation hence they had been asked to appear before the SIT for their statements.
Sources said Jasbir Kaur and Rajinder Deep Singh from Punjab, who were associated with the farm stir, joined the probe today as Yogita, a co-accused, told the police on Tuesday that she had informed Jasbir about the molestation incident. “I met the Bengali woman when she was hospitalised in Bahadurgarh. She told me that Anil had molested her on the train. Later, Yogita too came to me and informed about the incident.,” Jasbir said.
TIKRI ASSAULT: Women safety Panel formed
The national working group of the All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee on Wednesday reviewed the Tikri sexual assault incident. Thereafter, it set up a ‘Mahila Suraksha Committee’ to look into all gender-related crimes and protect the rights of women at all its functions and gatherings, including the ongoing farmers’ stir and the incident at Tikri.